Here is the list of words related to peacekeeping
a formal or official agreement between two countries, governments or groups of people
- The Paris Peace Accords
- A peace accord was signed to end the war.
a contract, promise or decision about what to do or will happen, made by two or more different people or groups
- a verbal [=not written] agreement
- a peace/trade agreement
- An agreement was reached between both sides.
- Finally they have come to an agreement.
- Don’t sign the rental agreement before reading all the terms carefully.
formal. to give someone what they want in order to avoid conflict with them
- They tried to appease the dictator to keep the peace.
a formal agreement between two countries involved in a war to stop fighting and negotiate a peace
- Finally, they agreed to an armistice after six years of war.
an agreement between enemies to stop fighting for a period of time, especially to discuss making peace
- a ceasefire agreement
- to call a ceasefire
- They were accused of violating the ceasefire.
- The rebel groups ended the ceasefire.
to have discussions about something in order to reach a desired agreement or find a solution to the problem
- The parties are willing to negotiate a resolution to the political crisis.
- The government will refuse to negotiate with the opposition.
discussions between people who are trying to reach a desired agreement
- Peace negotiations
- Finally, two sides reached an agreement after lengthy negotiations.
- The price is open to negotiation.
- The government refused to open/enter into negotiations with the rebel forces.
Olive branch (n)
something that is offered to someone in order to show that you want to make peace; a symbol of peace
- to extend/offer/hold out an olive branch to someone
- The government held out an olive branch to the demonstrators by reducing taxes.
the belief that the war and violence are wrong and that people should settle all disputes in a peaceful way
to establish or restore peace in a country or an area, especially by using military force
- The government forces failed to pacify the troubled region.
a situation in which there is no war or fighting in an area
- Peace talks
- World peace
- They've always lived together in peace.
- We hope the referendum will bring peace to the country.
a special soldier in a military force who has been sent to prevent violence in an area where there is fighting or a war
the activity of restoring the peace in a troubled area
- a peacekeeping force/mission
a person who tries to persuade people or countries to stop fighting or arguing and bring peace
a period of time during which there is no conflict or war between two or more countries
- There has been an increase in military spending even in peacetime.
money that is paid by a defeated country for damages or expenses it caused to another country during a war
to stop fighting and agree that you have been defeated
- The enemy forces refused to surrender.
a formal written agreement between two or more countries or international organizations
- a peace treaty
- The treaty was ratified by six countries.
an agreement to stop fighting or arguing for a short time
- Let’s call a truce.
- The gangs agreed (American English agreed to) a truce.