Pregnancy vocabulary with definitions and example sentences
The period of time that a woman is going to have a baby is called a pregnancy. If a woman has a baby in her uterus, she is pregnant with a baby.
See also: Baby vocabulary
to medically or surgically end a pregnancy, so that the unborn child is prevented from developing and being born alive
- She decided to abort her pregnancy.
the medical or surgical ending of a pregnancy early
- Abortion is illegal in some countries.
- Dr. Ward performed 1000 abortions.
- Sophia will have/get an abortion next week.
related to the medical care received by a woman during her pregnancy
- antenatal care/classes/visits/diagnosis/exercises
- Pregnant women go to antenatal clinics for medical help.
to give birth to a baby
- She has borne four children.
- His wife bore him a son.
Birth mother (n)
a natural mother of an adopted child
to be pregnant with a baby
- She is carrying a baby boy.
to get pregnant with a baby
- She is still unable to conceive.
- She conceived three month ago.
the process of becoming pregnant with a child
- What do you feel after conception?
the birth of a baby
- She had a difficulty delivery.
- a delivery room
expected to be born at a certain time
- My baby is due in September.
Egg cell (or ovum) (n)
a cell that develops into a baby inside the female body after fertilization by a sperm
a tiny unborn child in the first eight weeks. Embryo begins to develop after fertilization. After eighth week, the unborn child is called a feotus (US fetus).
to be pregnant
- Anwen is expecting again.
soon to become a mother or father
- expectant mother/father/parents
the period of development of a baby inside the mother’s womb before birth
- The gestation age of a baby
the period of time when a women gives birth
- to be in labour
- to go into labour
to make a woman pregnant
to inject sperm into a woman’s uterus in order to impregnate her
- She tried to inseminate her at home.
- To be artificially inseminated
Maternity leave (n)
a period of time in which a woman temporarily stops work in order to give birth and to care of her baby.
- Paid/unpaid maternal leave
- She is on six weeks maternal leave
the loss of a pregnancy before the child is born alive
- Smoking can cause miscarriage
- Bleeding and abdominal pain is the signs of miscarriage.
Morning sickness (n)
a feeling of tiredness and sickness (nausea) that some women may feel at the early stages of the pregnancy; vomiting during pregnancy
a woman who is pregnant with her first child
a cell that is produced by a man and fertilizes the egg inside the body of a woman
- Man who has low/high sperm count
Stretch marks (n)
the reddish lines that are left on someone’s abdominal skin, particularly after they have been pregnant
an agreement in which a woman (a surrogate mother) gives birth to a baby for another parents
to end a pregnancy; to abort
- a woman who terminated her pregnancy
the organ inside the body of a women in which fetus develops into a baby. In medical contexts womb is called an uterus.