Ways of cooking with definitions and example sentences
to make food such as bread or cakes inside an oven using dry heat
- (as an adjective) baked aubergine
- Bake at 150°C for 30 minutes.
- the scent of freshly/newly baked bread
- I am baking Sophia a cake.
to cook food such as beef or fish on a barbecue grill or over an open fire
- barbecued fish
- We barbecued chicken breasts.
to cook food by placing it into boiling water
- boiled corn
- a hard-boiled/soft-boiled egg
- I put two eggs on to boil.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes.
to brown food in a little fat and then cook it with a little liquid in a covered pan
- Braise the beef in red wine.
- braised chicken
American English. to cook food under direct dry heat
- broiled bacon
to cook meat or vegetable quickly over charcoal
- chargrilled potatoes
to cook food by placing it under the surface of hot oil
- He tried to deep-fry chicken wings.
to cook food in a pan using oil or fat
- fried egg
- He fried fish for me.
to cook meat, fish or vegetables on a flat metal frame over a coal fire
- grilled sausages
- Grill the tomatoes for 5-10 minutes.
to make something hot or warm
- Can I heat up the pizza in the oven?
to cook or heat something in a microwave oven
to boil food for a short time before it is grilled, roasted etc.
- Parboil the tomatoes for three minutes before you skin them.
to cook something gently in a small amount of boiling liquid such as water, milk, wine, etc.
- poached chicken
- Poach the fish in vegetable stock.
to cook food such as meat or vegetables with dry heat in an uncovered pan in an oven or over an open fire
- She roasted the chicken with olive oil, pepper and fresh herbs.
Sautéto cook food quickly in an open pan using a little oil or fat
- Sauté the garlic for three minutes.
- (as an adjective) sauté spinach
to cook an egg by mixing the white and yolk together and then stirring and heating with butter in a pan
- I’ll scramble the eggs with tomato.
- scrambled/boiled/poached egg
to cook or heat food by boiling it gently at low temperatures
- Let the sauce simmer for ten minutes.
to cook or heat food in steam
- steamed vegetables
to cook food such as meat or fruit by boiling slowly in a closed dish
- stewed chicken
to fry small pieces of food quickly over high heat by stirring them frequently
- Stir-fry meat for 3-4 minutes, and then add sauce.
- Stir-fried vegetables
to cook or heat food by putting it close to a high heat until it browns or crisps
- I want my bread toasted.