Taste of food
Taste of food with definitions and example sentences
having strong, sharp and unpleasant smell or taste
- Acrid smoke filled the studio.
- It emits acrid fumes when heated.
- The acrid smell of burning food
(of food) that smells or looks very good and makes you want to eat
- An appetizing meal
- An appetizing aroma of bacon came from the kitchen.
having an unpleasantly sharp taste; not sweet
- Bitter chocolate
- The medicine left a bitter aftertaste.
not having strong flavour
- A bland diet
- The salad was too bland.
Deliciouswith a highly pleasant taste
- Lunch was delicious.
- The fish tasted delicious.
Extremely unpleasant to see, smell or taste
- You shouldn’t eat this fish. It smells disgusting.
- The soup looked absolutely disgusting.
- What a revolting smell!
recently made, produced or picked, not preserved in a particular way
- The smell of fresh bread
- The vegetables are fresh from the farm.
- You’ll need fresh fish for this recipe.
having a rich, pleasant taste
- a full-bodied beer/wine
hot food has a strong burning taste because it contains pepper and spices
- hot sauce/mustard
- a mild curry
Insipidhaving very little taste or flavour
- a bowl of insipid soup
a light meal does not contain much fat and is easy to digest
- I’ll have a light supper.
- a light snack/dessert
so pleasant that you want to eat more of it
- The cake is moreish, isn’t it?
having an unpleasantly strong taste or smell
- The pungent smell of vinegar
ripe cheese or wine has fully developed and ready to be used
- This brie [soft French cheese] is ripe enough.
having salty or spicy taste; not sweet
- Is this pudding sweet or savoury?
a sickly smell or taste makes you feel that you want to vomit because it is extremely sweet
- The chocolate cake was a bit sickly.
having a sharp, unpleasant taste like a lemon
- These plums taste sour.
containing strong spices and causing a burning feeling in the mouth
- Chicken in a spicy sauce
stale food such as bread is dry and no longer good and fresh
- The cake has gone stale.
stodgy food is unpleasantly heavy and difficult to digest
- I love stodgy pizzas.
having a taste like that of sugar or of honey; containing a lot of sugar
- The tea is a bit too sweet for me.
having almost no flavour
- This vegetable soup is tasteless.
having a strong and nice flavour
- I thought the borscht [a Russian soup] was tasty.
not pleasant to eat
- unpalatable diet foods
a weak drink has little taste because it does not contain the essential ingredients
- This coffee is weak.
Ways of cooking