Skip to main content
Here is the list of professions with the definistions and example sentences.
- Accountant: a person who prepares an organization's financial documents like profit statement. Every organization needs one
- Actuary: a person who calculates financial risks and determines payments for insure companies,
pension funds or similar financial services. An actuary helps clients minimize risks.
- Administrator: a person who organizes the policies and
procedures of an organization. The office administrator
will prepare the meeting.
- Analyst: a person who examines data, gives his
opinion. The political analysts
conducted public opinion survey.
- Architect: a person who creates building designs and
helps restore old buildings. The Jewish Museum in Berlin was designed by architect Daniel Libeskind.
- Archivist: A person who collects, manages and maintains historical
records and documents. This software helps archivists
catalogue and index the archives.
- Artists: a person who creates art such as painting,
drawing or sculpture by using his talent
. Bas Jen Ader is one of the most famous conceptual artists.
- Author: a person who creates written work such as
book, article etc. Mark Twain is a famous author.
- Baker: a person who makes bread and pastries for
sale. Bakers have to start working
very early in the morning.
- Barber: a man who cuts men’s hair and shave their
beard. This barber gives free
haircuts to the homeless on Sundays.
- Bartender (barman; barmaid): a person who prepares and
serves beverages in a bar. The bartender made a cocktail.
- Barrister: a lawyer in Britain who gives legal advice
and defends people in higher courts of law. He is being represented by a barrister in the court.
- Beautician: a person, usually a woman, who improves the
customers’ personal appearance by using facials and make up. My beautician gave me manicures and
- Bookkeeper: a person who records financial transaction
such as purchases and sales systematically. He is a self-employed bookkeeper.
- Bricklayer: a person who builds or repairs wall by using
bricks A bricklayer is called a brickie
in informal English. The bricklayer
mixed the mortar by hand.
- Broadcaster: a person who introduces or hosts a programme
on television or radio. He has been the broadcaster
of the show for a decade.
- Builder: a person who works on the construction of a
building. The Chinese builders completed
the skyscraper in 19 days.
- Care worker (care assistant): a person who looks after people
with illnesses and disabilities. As a care assistant she loves
helping older people.
- Carpenter: a person who makes or repairs wooden
structures or fixtures such as doors or frames. The carpenter installed 5 windows and 2 doors.
- Chef: a professional cook who has culinary
education and supervises the kitchen staff. He is a fish chef in the hotel.
- Chemist (also pharmacist; US druggist): 1. a
healthcare person who prepares and sells medications 2. A scientist who studies chemistry. The pharmacist
prescribed some medicine for my sore throat.
- Cleaner: a person who cleans houses, offices or equipment
for payment. The cleaner is sweeping
- Comedian: a person who entertains people by making them
laugh. He is a famous stand-up comedian.
- Counselor: a person who provide guidance to people with
problems. You need to visit a marriage guidance counselor.
- Decorator: a person who decorates a room or house using
paint or wallpaper. Bob started out as an interior decorator and painter.
- Dentist: a healthcare person who examines teeth,
prevents or treats oral and dental diseases. You need to see a dentist at least twice a year
- Doctor: a healthcare person who has earned a medical
degree to treat people who are ill. The
doctor prescribed a course of antibiotics
- Driver: a person who operates a vehicle such as a
bus, lorry, truck or car. He decided to be a taxi driver.
- Editor: a person who reviews or corrects the content
of a newspaper, magazine or book for publication. She is the fashion editor of the magazine.
- Engineer: a person who designs and builds roads,
bridges, machines, etc. using scientific and mathematical knowledge.
Agricultural/biochemical/civil/electrical /mechanical engineer
- Entrepreneur: a person who runs or starts his own business.
Successful entrepreneurs are always
prepared for the risks.
- Farmer: a person who owns or runs a farm. Farmers are the backbone of a country.
- Firefighter (fireman): a person who extinguishes fires.
The firefighters rescued the dog
from the burning house.
- Florist: a person who arranges and cut flowers for sale
in a shop/store. The florist arranged
a bouquet of flowers.
- Hairdresser: a person who cuts, trim, wash, colour and shape
hair. She asked her hairdresser to
- Historian: a person who studies the past. A group of historians found an ancient map in the
- Inspector: a person who officially visits places such as
school or factory in order to check processes and standards. a
tax/school/health and safety inspector
- Instructor: a person who teaches a particular subject, art
or skill. Aerobics/driving/swimming
- Journalist: a person who researchs and writes news stories
for mass media. The journalist is
conducting an interview.
- Judge: a person in a court of law who makes a final
decision after reviewing the evidence, arguments and facts. The judge sentenced him to life
- Labourer: a person who does hard, physically demanding
work such as digging or plastering. Agricultural/construction/underground labourer
- Lawyer: a person who explains the law and represents
people in court. Do not say anything without your lawyer.
- Librarian: a person who is in charge of a library and its
collections. The librarian is collecting books back
- Masseur: a person who gives massages in order to relax
or reduce pain in people’s muscles. I’ve got an appointment with the masseur.
- Mechanic: a person who checks, maintains or repairs the
machines. The mechanic replaced the
defective parts of the engine.
- Midwife: a nurse who helps women during pregnancy and
childbirth. The midwife gave me some
advice on the daily care of the baby.
- Musician: a person who performs or creates music .The
famous musician, Elvis Presley, is
known as “The King of Rock and Roll”.
- Novelist: an author of novels; a person who writes
novels. James Patterson is one of the famous contemporary novelists.
- Nurse: a person who provides medical care to ill or
injured people, usually in a hospital. The nurse
took my pulse and blood pressure.
- Personal assistant (PA): a person who helps a manager by
arranging appointments, preparing letters and answering phone calls. She works as
the personal assistant to the
- Painter: 1. a person who paints inside and outside
surfaces of buildings. Bob started out as an interior decorator and painter. 2. an artist how paints
pictures. He is a famous portrait painter.
- Paramedic: a healthcare person who gives immediate
treatment to sick or injured people in accidents and emergencies. The paramedic saved my father’s life
injured in a horrific car crash.
- Photographer: a person who take photographs to earn money.
He makes a good living as a fashion photographer.
- Pilot: a person who operates an aircraft such as a
plane or helicopter. a military/civilian
- Plasterer: a person who puts plaster on interior
surfaces of buildings. The plasterer
prepares walls and ceilings for decoration.
- Plumber: a person connects or repairs pipes and
fittings. We’ll have to call the plumber to fix leaky pipes.
- Poet: a person who composes poems. The poet recited his last poem about love.
- Police officer (policeman; policewoman): a person who
works for the police. He was stopped by a policeman
- Politician: a person who represents a political party; a
member of parliament or government. The politicians
will start election campaign next week.
- Producer: a person who chooses director and crew and
makes practical and financial decisions for a film, TV shows etc. The producer refused to read the script.
- Publicist: a person who delivers information about a
famous person or new product to the public. He worked for ten years as a music publicist.
- Receptionist: a person who greets, welcomes and directs visitors
in a hotel or in an office building. The receptionist
gave me my key card.
- Scientist: a person who gains scientific knowledge by doing
research or experiments. Research/social scientist
- Security guard: a person who protects someone’s property. A security guard patrols the car park at
- Vocalist: a skilled singer with a band who sings
popular music. Jack Jones won Grammy Award for Best Male Vocalist.
- Social worker: a person who provides help and support to
people with family or financial problems. The social workers are working for social justice.
- Solicitor: a lawyer in Britain who explains the law and
represents people in court; a lawyer who specialized in one area of law. I need
a solicitor to draw up a contract.
- Stockbroker: a person who buys and sells shares and other
financial products for other people or companies. As a stockbroker, you must have great analytical skills.
- Surgeon: a healthcare person who treats injured or
sick people through medical operations. Brain/eye/heart/orthopedic/plastic/trauma
- Teacher: a person who teaches a subject such as a
history in a school. She is a secondary school teacher.
- Trader: a person who buys and sells goods, shares,
bonds etc. Small traders play
important role in the economy of our country.
- Tutor: a private teacher who provides assistance to
one student or very small group in a particular subject. He needs a tutor to help him with chemistry.
- Waiter (female: waitress) a person who takes order
from customers and bring the food and beverages to them in a restaurant. He
asked the waiter for the bill.
Post a Comment