List of business people with definitions and example sentences
an employee who prepares an organization's financial documents like profit statement:
- Every organization needs one professional accountant.
an employee who organizes the policies and procedures of an organization:
- The office administrator will prepare the meeting.
a person or company that acts for another person or company:
an employee who examines data, and gives his opinion:
- The political analysts conducted public opinion survey.
a person who works with you in a business; colleague, co-worker:
- Nancy and Susan are my business associates.
a person who is authorized to represent others in a business:
The actions will be taken by the attorney-in-fact.
a person who officially inspects the financial statements of a company for accuracy:
- The external auditors will examine the accounts.
a person with an important job in a bank or other financial institution:
- They are famous investment bankers in New Jersey.
an extremely powerful businessperson
- Mohammed Al Amoudi, the oil baron of Saudi Arabia
a group of people who are elected to organize a company or other organizations:
- The board of directors approved the decision about the new project.
an employee who records financial transactions such as purchases and sales systematically
- He is a self-employed bookkeeper.
a person who is in charge of employees
- He is the boss of a company.
Businessman (also businessperson, fem: businesswoman)
a person who works in a business:
- Jeff Bezos is one of the richest businessmen.
Captain of industry
a person who owns a large and important company:
- They were America’s captains of industry in 1800’s.
CEO (chief executive officer)
a managing director of an organization who reports to the board of directors:
- Being CEO is the hardest position in a company.
Chairman (also chairperson, fem: chairwoman)
a senior person elected by the board of directors who runs the board’s meetings:
- The chairman of the board called for the board meeting.
an experienced person who gives advice or information:
- We need the help of a financial consultant.
a person who makes the various groups work together most effectively:
- As coordinator, his job is to oversee the whole project.
a person or company that buys products from a producer for selling them
- He is a dealer in new and used cars.
a person or company that supplies products to retailers:
- The company is the largest film distributor in Canada.
a person who runs or starts his own business:
- Successful entrepreneurs are always prepared for the risks.
Executive (informal: exec)
a senior person who directs and oversees other people in an organization:
- The meeting with the senior executives will be held on Wednesday.
a person who provides a large amount of money to make a profit:
- They are looking for financiers for the project.
an owner of an industrial enterprise:
- The British Industrialist, The Father of the South Yorkshire Iron Trade, Sir John Brown
a person who invests money in something to make a profit:
- The government will issue new policies to attract overseas investors.
a person who controls a group, country, organization etc.:
- Fidel Castro was the political leader of Cuba.
a person who gives cash loan at extremely rates of interest, and recovers it by threats of violence:
- He had been threatened by a loanshark.
Magnate (also mogul)
a rich and influential person in a business:
- Michael Dell is a well-known computer magnate.
a person who manages a team of people in an organization:
- task manager/bank manager/hotel manager/store manager
a person who buys products from a producer and sells them to customers:
- Cut out the middleman to lower the price.
a person who gives cash loan, usually at high rates of interest:
- We think taking a loan from moneylenders is not a good idea.
an employee in an office:
- Office workers usually suffer from back pain.
a powerful person who is the member of a small group that controls a country:
- The oligarchs influence the politics.
one of the top people who do business together and shares the profits and liabilities equally:
The partner who does not take part in the management of the business is called a silent partner or sleeping partner.
- Tony is a senior partner in a law firm.
the owner of a business without limited responsibility:
- a hotel/shop proprietor
an employee who maintains diaries, answers telephone calls, arranges appointments for the boss:
- I telephoned the secretary to arrange an appointment with the lawyer.
a person or a company that has a share in an organization:
- The investors are the important stakeholders in our company.
a skillful person who has authority in a business:
- The Apple supremo, Tim Cook
a person who manages property or money for the benefit of another:
- The board of trustees of the state university
a successful and powerful person in a business:
- Rupert Murdoch is one of the richest media tycoons.