Idioms with birds
Here a list of idioms with birds
|Idioms with birds
As the crow flies (also in a beeline)
in a direct line between two locations:
- It is only 10 kilometers from here as the crow flies.
Informal. someone or something that is unsuccessful because of a mistake:
- The company is a dead duck due to financial difficulties.
Get/have your ducks in a row
to be fully prepared for something:
- Get your ducks in a row before you go to Chicago.
Take to something like a duck to a water
to do something naturally as if you have been born with this ability:
- He took to skiing like a duck to water.
Water off a duck’s back
criticisms, warnings or advice without effect:
- The teacher told us how to prepare for the exam, but it was just water off a duck’s back to Tom.
Informal. an elected official who is no longer eligible for election:
- Barack Obama is a lame duck president.
Cook someone’s goose
to prevent someone from succeeding in something:
- He cooked his own goose by cheating on the test.
Kill the goose that lays the golden egg
Saying. to destroy something that would make money:
Have eyes like a hawk
to be able to see very well:
- Rebecca noticed the mistake in time. She has eyes like a hawk.
As sick as a parrot
Informal. to be very disappointed at something:
- I was as sick as a parrot when my dog died.
Put/set the cat among the pigeons
to say something suddenly which worries a lot of people; to cause a fight by saying something:
- She revealed the secret. That set the cat among the pigeons.
Informal. to talk about something honestly and openly:
- I think he’s not ready to talk turkey.
Strictly for the birds
Informal. meaningless, useless:
- This movie is strictly for the birds.
The bird has flown
someone has escaped:
- Stop searching. The bird has flown.
Bird’s eye view
a view from high above:
- I had a bird’s eye view of the city from the tower.
Birds of a feather
people with similar characters:
- Tony is my best friend. We’re birds of a feather.
The early bird catches the worm
Saying. If you do something immediately or before other people, you will gain an advantage: