Here are the types of machine with example sentences.
=for washing clothes, sheets, etc.
=for sewing things that are made of cloth
- She placed the sewing machine on the desk.
- Do you know how to thread a sewing machine?
- Computerized sewing machines are very expensive.
- Which features do you look for in a sewing machine?
=for recording messages left by the person calling
- He left a message on my answering machine.
- I called her this morning but I got the answering machine.
- Adjust the volume on the answering machine.
- Press this button to turn on the answering machine.
- There's a message on the answering machine from your father.
=for supplying small things such as cigarettes, drinks and sweets
- Insert your money into the vending machine.
- This vending machine dispenses a range of snacks.
- There are three vending machines in the office.
- He makes a little money with vending machines.
=for taking money out of your bank account
See also: Banking vocabulary
- Where's the nearest cash machine?
- The cash machine is out of order.
- The bank has 150 branches and 177 cash machines.
- You can withdraw money from any cash machine.
British English also fruit machine
=for putting money into in order to play a game
- He sat down to play the slot machine.
- The casino has a wide selection of slot machines.
- She won $10 on a slot machine.
Also life-support system
=for keeping someone alive they are very sick