to put one substance with others
- Add the sugar and mix well.
to mix foods quickly with a fork, etc. to make a mixture smooth and light
- Beat yolks and whites together.
to mix two or more ingredients thoroughly
- Blend the butter with egg yolk and sugar.
to take the bones out of meat or fish before you cook it
- She boned the chicken breast.
to cut food into smaller pieces with a knife or other sharp tool
- The herbs should be finely chopped.
to remove the inner organs of a fish or an animal to prepare it for cooking
- She began to clean the salmon.
to cut meat, vegetables, etc.into small cubes
- Wash and dice the carrot.
to change something solid into a liquid by heating
- Melt the butter in a frying pan.
to cut food into thin flat pieces
- She sliced the onion into thin rings.
to put a thin layer of a soft food over the surface
- Spread the butter on/over the slices of bread.
to press a mixture of flour, water, etc. repeatedly with your hand to make it ready to cook
- Wash your hands before kneading the dough.
to make a liquid or substance flow in a stream from or into a container
- Pour the sauce into a pot.
to remove the outer layer of fruit or vegetables
- Could you peel the potatoes?
(S) to make something flatter and thinner by pushing a rolling pin over it
- Roll out the pastry thinly.
to cut cheese, vegetables, etc. into a lot of small pieces by rubbing them against a grater
- Grate chocolate over the dessert.
to stir food such as cream or egg very quickly in order to make it stiff
- Lightly whip the cream.
See also: Ways of cooking