Here is the vocabulary of separation and marriage problems for English learners
sex between a married man or woman and someone who is not their spouse
- He committed adultery with a woman.
- Adultery is a crime in some countries.
a secret sexual relationship with someone who is not your spouse or who is married to someone else
- He was having an affair with a much younger woman.
to declare that a marriage no longer legally exists
- Their marriage was quickly annulled last month.
the crime of marrying two different people at the same time
Break up (v)
to end a marriage or romantic relationship with someone
- Have you really broken up with your girlfriend?
(of a marriage or romantic relationship) to come to an end
- Their marriage has broken up.
Cheat on (v)
to secretly have a sexual relationship with someone who is not your partner in marriage
- He was cheating on his wife.
the legal right to care for a child
- The court gave custody of the child to the mother.
- The parents have shared custody of their daughter.
- She received sole custody of her son.
- custodial parent
Decree absolute (n)
the final order by a court that officially ends your marriage and allows you to remarry
to annul or officially end a marriage
- Their marriage was dissolved.
to legally terminate your marriage relationship with someone
- My parents were divorced when I was three.
- She divorced her abusive husband.
a legal process to terminate a marriage relationship
- Both marriages ended in divorce.
- We’re getting divorced.
- He began divorce proceedings today.
a man who is divorced
a woman who is divorced
of someone who is no longer married
- I am a divorced man with two children.
informal. to suddenly end a relationship with someone
- He was dumped by her girlfriend.
taking place outside of a marriage or relationship
- He denied having an extramarital affair.
to finish a relationship with a husband or wife and leave them permanently
- My husband is leaving me for his lover.
formal. a secret sexual relationship
a woman that a man has an extramarital sexual relationship with
- He kept mistress for three years.
to leave each other because the relationship has ended
- We parted on good terms.
to stop living together with your husband or wife while remaining married
- He had separated from his wife.
a situation in which a couple decide to live apart but not to divorce each other
- a legal separation
having a sexual relationship with someone who is not your spouse
- He has admitted being unfaithful to his wife.