A baby is a very young child. A baby in the first four weeks after birth is called a neonate. A recently born child is called a newborn child. If a baby is still drinking milk from its mother, we call it a suckling. A child who is just learning to walk is called a toddler.
Bottle (n)a plastic container with a tent at the top, used to give milk or a drink to a baby
- The baby finished the whole bottle at once.
Bottle-feed (v)to feed a baby with a bottle
- She decided to bottle-feed her baby.
- She has a bouncing baby boy.
Synonym: to suckle
to feed a baby from a mother’s breast
- She is breastfeeding twins.
a small bed with handles that is designed to carry a baby while travelling
- The baby was sleeping in the carrycot.
American English: crib
a baby bed with the sides that is too high to climb
- The baby is lying in the cot.
a small bed that moves from side to side when pushed gently
- Rock gently the baby to sleep in its cradle.
to move slowly on the hands and knees
- My baby is learning to crawl.
American English: pacifier
a small plastic, rubber or silicone object given to a baby to suck or bite on
- My baby does not sleep without the pacifier.
a relaxing song that is sung to make children calm or go to sleep
- My grandmother knows many old lullabies.
American English: diaper
cloth or synthetic material that is placed the between baby’s legs to catch its waste
- She had never changed a nappy before.
an enclosed structure with wooden bars in which babies can play safely
- She left her baby in the playpen.
American English: baby carriage
a small vehicle with four wheels that is used for moving a baby around while it is lying down
Romper suit (n)
a piece of clothing that covers a baby’s body. A piece of clothing worn by a baby at night is called sleepsuit.
- a little boy wearing romper suit
American English: stroller
a small vehicle with four wheels that looks like a chair and used for moving a baby around
to grow teeth
- My baby is still teething.
to move unsteadily with short steps
a frame with small wheels that allows a baby to move around a room
a piece of cloth that covers a baby’s chest to keep clothes clean while feeding
a baby’s toy that makes a sound when it is shaken