Here is a list of tools with definitions and example sentences
a tool with a heavy metal head that is firmly secured to a handle, used to pound on [hit repeatedly] nails:
- He injured his finger with the hammer.
a large heavy hammer that is operated using both hands, and used to break up rock or concrete:
- He used a sledgehammer to crack a nut [idiom: he did something using much energy or force].
a lightweight hammer made of wood or plastic that is used to strike something softly
The wooden mallet used by a judge to call for attention is a gavel.
- I need a screwdriver and rubber mallet to assemble the furniture.
a tool with plastic handle and shank [steel bar] that fits in a screw’s head to tighten or remove it:
- Never use your screwdriver as a chisel, you can injure yourself.
a tool containing a sharp blade that is used to smooth or shape wood:
An electric tool for smoothing wood is called a planer.
- He tried to smooth the wide board with the plane.
Saw (also handsaw)
a tool consisting of a straight blade with many sharp teeth along lower edge, used for cutting pieces of wood:
- While using the handsaw, always hold the wood firmly in place with another hand.
a saw with a thin blade connected to a frame shaped U, used for cutting shapes and curves in hard materials:
- The joiner used a coping saw to trim the corners of the cornice.
a saw with a narrow blade connected to a frame, usually used for cutting metal:
- The plumber cut the plastic pipes with a hacksaw.
a tool with plastic handle and pointed blade, used for marking or making holes in wood
- Make a pilot hole with the bradawl before inserting the screw in wood.
a tool consisting of a thin, flat, rounded or triangular blade with a rough surface, used for sharpening, smoothing or cutting metal or wood:
- He sharpened the knives with the file.
a tool consisting of a metal blade with a sharp edge at the end, used for carving or shaving hard materials such as wood or stone:
- You should use a mallet to drive the chisel.
Spanner (US wrench)
a metal tool with an open end, used for fastening nuts and bolts:
Spanners can include an adjustable spanner (US monkey wrench) and Stillson wrench (US pipe wrench):
- I cannot loosen these stubborn nuts with this spanner.
a tool consisting of two parallel metal handles with jaws, used to hold objects firmly:
- The electrician cut wires with his pliers.
Spirit level (also level)
a tool containing a transparent tube (called a vial) of liquid with a bubble inside, used to check whether a surface is horizontal or vertical
- After you hang the picture frame, with a spirit level check that it is straight.
Tape measure (also measuring tape)
a tool consisting of a long strip of metal, cloth or plastic marked by thin lines, that is used to find the length of something
- I need a tape measure longer than 1 meter to measure the table
Vice (also vise)
a heavy tool consisting of two parallel metal parts, used to hold an object in position:
- He attached the vise securely to the table.
a tool or machine that is used for making a hole or driving a screw:
- When using the electric drill, always wear safety goggles [safety glasses] to protect your eyes.
a strong paper or cloth with grit particles [very small pieces of sand] glued to one side, used for rubbing something to make it smoother:
- While working with sandpaper, wear a dust mask.
a thin piece of metal that has a sharp point and hit by a hammer to fasten one thing to another or hang something:
- I hammered the nail into the wall using the nail and clothespin technique.
a thin piece of metal that has a sharp point and thread [a raised line in the shape of a helix], that is turned by a screwdriver to fasten one thing to another:
- Tighten the loose screws.
a type of screw that has no point, used with a nut [a metal ring with internal threads] to hold objects together:
- How can I loosen the stuck bolt and nut?
a flat ring that is used under a nut or head of a bolt/screw in order to prevent the nut or bolt from loosening or damaging a surface.