Beauty salon vocabulary
A place where beautician, hairdresser (also called hairstylist) or a masseur works to give people beauty treatment is called a beauty salon or beauty parlour (US beauty shop)
A place where barber works to cuts men’s hair and shave their beard is called a barber’s (US barbershop)
Beauty salon services can include:
a beauty treatment to make the skin of the face soft, smooth and bright with creams, lotions or face masks
- She did a facial for the dry flaky skin on my face.
a beauty treatment to make hands and fingernails healthy, soft and good-looking
a beauty treatment to make feet and toenails healthy, soft and good-looking
- She usually has a manicure and pedicure at home.
a beauty treatment that involves drying and shaping hair
- She had a cut and blow-dry.
to give your hair a new colour by using a substance
- She decided to dye her hair red.
to give hair a curved shape by using hair rollers or curling iron
- She is thinking of curling her hair.
to give your hair curl for a long time using chemicals. It is also known as ‘permanent wave’
- I had my hair permed yesterday.
a chemical treatment to give your hair curl for a long time
- My hair is naturally curly. I haven’t had a perm.
to wash your hair with shampoo [liquid for cleaning hair]
- She shampooed her hair after dyeing it.
to make hair straight by using a flat iron (also called straightener)
- She wants to straighten her curly hair.
to make hair tidy by cutting it
- I see she’s had her hair trimmed.
to use clean water in order to remove soap or dirt
- First rinse your hair thoroughly then apply conditioner.
to remove hair by using hot wax or wax strip
- She got her legs and armpits waxed at the salon.
List of tools used in beauty salon and barber’s