Ballpoint (also BiroTM)
a pen with a tiny rotating ball that allows ink to flow as you write:
- red ballpoint pen
- to write in black ballpoint pen
- Ballpoint pen has dried out.
a metal device with folding handles, that is designed to hold many sheets of paper together:
- to fasten together with a binder clip.
- He used a binder clip to organize wires.
a small electronic device used for adding (+), subtracting (-), multiplying (x), or dividing (÷) numbers:
- The examinees are not allowed to share calculators during the exam.
a small board used for holding a paper in position:
- She made a list of candidates on the clipboard.
Correction fluid (also white-out)
a white, quick-drying liquid used for covering errors on paper:
- You can write on the correction fluid, it has dried.
a flat container typically made of paper, for letters or documents in it:
- Put your address on the envelope.
Eraser (also rubber)
a soft substance used for removing something made by a pencil:
- to rub out something with an eraser.
folding plastic or cardboard used for holding sheets of paper:
- Please keep these documents in a folder.
a tube with a sticky substance that is used for joining papers and cards together:
- Glue sticks are ideal for paper craft.
a marker that is used to bring notice to important passages of a document by marking them with a bright colour:
- A typical highlighter is yellow because our eyes are most sensitive to yellow.
an open container on someone’s desk to put incoming documents in:
- His in-tray is empty today.
sheets of lined paper that are fastened together at top edge, used for recording notes:
- a notepad by the phone
- a plain notepad
- to scribble a note on a notepad
a small wire or plastic bent into a looped shape and used for holding sheets of paper together:
- The paperclip was invented by Johan Vaaler.
an instrument containing a marking substance, typically made of wood, for writing or drawing:
- a coloured pencil
- to write in pencil
- to sharpen a pencil
a small device with a hole to put a pencil into and sharpen it by rotating it several times:
- a hand-held pencil sharpener
- an electric sharpener
Post-it TM (also Post-it note)
a small sticky paper used for writing short notes on:
- He labeled the folders with post-it notes.
Punched pocked (US sheet protector)
a flat, transparent bag with a row of holes, that is used to attach a sheet of paper to a folder:
- Please remove the document from the punched pocket.
a small pin with a large plastic head that is used for temporarily fastening papers or pictures on a wall or a board:
- We fastened our holiday photos with pushpins to the wall.
a folder with two or three rings inside that is used to hold papers or file folder:
- You have to put the punched pockets into the ring binder.
a small tool that is used for imprinting a name, logo or date by pressing it on paper:
- He dated the letters with the rubber stamp.
a tool consisting of two pivoting blades, that is used for cutting paper, cloth, hair etc.:
- a pair of scissors
SellotapeTM (also sticky tape; US Scotch tapeTM)
a sticky and transparent material on a roll that is used to stick papers together. A device to hold and cut the tape is called a tape dispenser.
- I need Sellotape to seal the package up.
a device used to join pieces of paper with staples (U-shaped wire). A device to remove staples from a paper is called a staple remover.